Exhibition Opening: Thursday 11 May 2017, 8 pm
Location: Ca’ Tron, Iuav University, Calle del Forno 1960, Venice
Nearest Vaporetto stop: San Stae (Lines that stop here: 1, N, and the airport ferry)
Ca’ Tron is a historical building facing the Grand Canal and boasting a small Italian garden. The building, whose origins date to the Gothic period, was built at the end of the 15th century and greatly flourished under the procurator Andrea Tron, a highly esteemed diplomat and ambassador, as well as a candidate for doge and after whom two of the building’s added wings are named. In the 19th century – after the extinction of the family – the palace nearly fell into ruin, passing through many owners and uses. In 1972, it was purchased by the IUAV University and restored under the guidance of architect L. Bellemo. The Italian architect Carlo Scarpa was very fascinated by Ca’ Tron and, in particular, by its ground floor and the Italian garden. Scarpa’s dream – as witnessed by his sketches – was to transform the whole space in a huge drawing room.
From the San Stae Vaporetto Stop:
A 2-minute walk: go straight forward away from the river (with the San Stae church on your left) and then take the first right onto Calle Tron. Walk down the street and then turn right onto Calle del Forno, Palazzo Ca’ Tron is on your left.
From Marco Polo Airport:
– Alilaguna Water Boat: from the Marco Polo Airport, you can take the Alilaguna Orange line directly to San Stae. Upon exiting the airport, you will need to follow signs for the Arsenal or Alilaguna. You can purchase tickets online to avoid long lines at the airport. The boat departs every 30 minutes and takes 50 minutes to get to San Stae; price 13€ each.
– Bus: there are two buses that depart from the airport every 10 – 20 minutes. The ACTV Bus is the city transportation and costs 8€ per person and takes approx. 30minutes to reach Piazzale Roma. The ATVO bus is a direct line that cost 8€ per person and takes approx. 20 minutes to reach Piazzale Roma.
From Treviso Airport:
The ATVO Shuttle Bus will be waiting for all arrivals going to Venice in the parking lot outside the airport. The Shuttle departs approx. 25mins from your arrival and takes about 1 hour to reach Venice, dropping you off at Piazzale Roma.
From Piazzale Roma (car park and bus terminal in Venice):
– Make your way to the ACTV Vaporetto Station. Take the Vaporetto Line 1 to San Stae, which is one of the last stations walking to your left. Tickets can be purchased before boarding at the ACTV stand.
– A 20-minute walk: make your way towards the Giardino Papadopoli, and after crossing the river turn left onto Fondamenta Condulmer, turn right onto Campo de la Lana and continue on straight forward until you reach a bridge where you cross again. From here, turn right onto Fondamenta Garzotti and then almost immediately left onto Calle Orsetti. Turn left, right, and then left again until you reach the road Ruga Vecchia and cross the river, staying on this road. The road will curve round to the left and after following it round take the right hand road. Continue on this road until you see the ‘Gelato di Natura’ – your indication to turn left and follow this road until you see a bridge letting you cross the river to your right. Once over the river, continue in an almost straight line until turning left onto the Calle de Forno. Continue on this road until the Palazzo Ca’ Tron appears on your left.
From the Train Station “Venezia Santa Lucia”:
– Take the Vaporetto Line 1 to San Stae. The Line 1 is the Vaporetto stop furthest to the right once you exit the train station. Take the Vaporetto going left. Tickets can be purchased before boarding at the ACTV stand.
– A 12-minute walk: leave the station and turn right onto Ponte degli Scalzi. Continue straight on and then turn left onto Calle Bergami S. Croce. Cross the bridge and immediately turn right onto Fondamenta Garzotti. Once you reach the road named Calle Gallion, turn left onto it and continue on. When you reach a fork in the road, turn right and then almost immediately left onto Calle Savio follow this road across the river and all the way along until you turn left onto Calle Larga Rosa. When you reach a bridge, cross it. Once over the river, continue in an almost straight line until turning left onto the Calle de Forno. Continue on this road until the Palazzo Ca’ Tron appears on your left.
From Rialto Bridge:
– Take Vaporetto line 1 from Rialto Bridge ferry stop to Stan Stae (approximately 10 minutes).
– A 10-minute walk: cross the bridge onto the road Ruga dei Oresi, follow this road for about 100 meters until you need to turn left onto Campo de le Becarie, and then almost immediately right. This road will then take you across the river and straight on again until you reach the Calle dei Boteri where you will have to take a right turn. Follow this road until you get to the restaurant ‘Rizzo Nicola’ where you turn right onto the Calle de Morti. Follow this road as it curves over the river and takes you up to the road Calla Regina, where you will turn right. Then, take the first road on your left which will lead you across two bridges until you see the Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo, which is your signal to turn left and then take the first right, and then right again onto the Salizada San Stae. From here you simply take the first left, and then the first right, where you will find yourself on the road with the Palazzo Ca’ Tron coming up on your left.
From Tolentini, IUAV University (Lecture Venue):
A 10-minute walk: go onto the Calle dei Amai and cross the bridge. Immediately turn left onto the Fondamenta Sacchere. Cross the bridge which comes up on your left, and then almost immediately turn right onto Corte Canal. Continue over the river and turn right onto the Fondamenta Garzotti. Once you reach the road named Calle Gallion, turn left onto it and continue on. When you reach a fork in the road, turn right and then almost immediately left onto Calle Savio follow this road across the river and all the way along until you turn left onto Calle Larga Rosa. When you reach a bridge, cross it. Once over the river, continue in an almost straight line until turning left onto the Calle de Forno. Continue on this road until the Palazzo Ca’ Tron appears on your left.
Inaugural Lecture by Slavoj Žižek: Thursday 11 May 2017, 5 pm
Location: Tolentini, Aula Magna, IUAV University Santa Croce 191, Venice
Nearest Vaporetto stop: Piazzale Roma (Lines that stop here: 1, 2, N)
The Tolentini premises are located near Piazzale Roma and include the convent of the Tolentini church and certain surrounding structures such as the entrance way, the small ex-Palma house (acquired in 1968 and restored in 1977 by the IUAV technical office), and the pavilion built in 1962 by civil engineers. In 1985 the entrance way, acquired by gratuitous transfer in 1979, was transformed according to the project by Carlo Scarpa.
From the train station “Venezia Santa Lucia”:
A 10-minute walk: go out of the train station and cross the large stone bridge to your left (Ponte degli Scalzi). Once over the bridge, take an immediate right along the Grand Canal (Fondamenta San Simeon Piccolo) and follow it until you reach the first small bridge. Turn left just before this bridge. The IUAV is located at the end of this Fondamenta, in the small Campo dei Tolentini.
From Piazzale Roma (car park and bus terminal in Venice):
A 5-minute walk: turn right towards Fondamenta Condulmer. Cross the Prefetto Bridge (the one with stone parapets), go straight on (along side the Papadopoli Gardens) until you arrive at another smaller bridge. Cross it and turn left. The first small square you come to is called Campo dei Tolentini. The IUAV entryway, made of grey slabs of stone, is on your right and faces the square.
From Sofitel Hotel:
A 2-minute walk: turn right out of the Hotel and almost immediately right again across the river. Turn left and follow the road until the IUAV University is on your right.
From Rialto Bridge:
– Get the Vaporetto line 2 from Rialto Bridge ferry stop to Piazzale Roma.
– A 20-minute walk: cross the bridge and turn left onto Riva del Vin. Continue on until the road bends to the right and then the left. Then turn right onto Calla Sbianchesini. Continue on this road until a dead end forces you to turn left (Calle Perdon). This road will take you across a bridge and on until you reach ‘La Rivetta’ which is your signal to turn right and then do a little zig zag until you reach a bridge. Cross over the bridge and then turn right onto San Polo. Follow this road around corners and over a bridge until you reach Rio Terra Secondo where you turn left. Follow this road down and then turn right onto Campiello Chiesa, then almost immediately left and over the bridge onto Calle della Vida. Take the first right, and then the first left, continuing on Calle Zana for 100m. After this, turn left onto Calla Campazzo and then take a slight right over the bridge where you will find the IUAV University on your left.